US DOT Bans All Samsung Galaxy Note7 Phones From Airplanes
Effective Saturday, October 15, 2016 at noon ET, the US Department of Transportation and the FAA announced an emergency order to ban all Samsung Galaxy Note7 Smartphone devices from air transportation in the United States, including air cargo.
Air travelers should:
- If passengers attempt to travel by air with their Samsung Galaxy Note7 devices, they will be denied boarding.
- Passengers who attempt to evade the ban by packing their phone in checked luggage are increasing the risk of a catastrophic incident. Anyone violating the ban may be subject to criminal prosecution in addition to fines.
- Passengers currently traveling with Samsung Galaxy Note7 phones should contact Samsung or their wireless carrier immediately to obtain information about how to return their phones and arrange for a refund or a replacement phone. Samsung has provided guidance for customers about refund and replacement options, as well as how to contact wireless carriers, at http://www.samsung.com/us/note7recall/ . Samsung is also answering customers’ questions at 1-844-365-6197.
- If an airline representative observes that a passenger is in possession of a Samsung Note7 device prior to boarding an aircraft, the air carrier must deny boarding to the passenger unless and until the passenger divests themselves and their carry-on and checked baggage of the Samsung Galaxy Note7 device. Passengers absolutely should not pack the phones in their checked luggage.
- If a flight crew member identifies that a passenger is in possession of a Samsung Galaxy Note7 device while the aircraft is in flight, the crew member must instruct the passenger to power off the device, not use or charge the device while aboard the aircraft, protect the device from accidental activation, including disabling any features that may turn on the device, such as alarm clocks, and keep the device on their person and not in the overhead compartment, seat back pocket, nor in any carry-on baggage, for the duration of the flight.
For more information on the DOT ban of Samsung Galaxy Note7 Smartphone devices click here.